Sunday, February 17, 2008

Just the thought makes me itch

In a perfect world, this blog would contain beautiful photographs of our children, tips for removing those pesky laundry stains, and recipes for all of the lovely meals that I prepare on a daily basis. You would say, "I always knew she would be the next Martha Stewart."

Welcome to my world. AJ has head lice.

Let's just say that this has been a humbling experience. It started last week when she complained about the back of her neck being itchy. On closer inspection, she had about a dozen bites back there. What could this be? Her teacher, TA and school nurse checked it out and were stumped. Chicken pox? Her pediatrician checked it out - definitely not Chicken Pox. He went over her head with a magnified light and came up with nothing. Probably half a dozen people checked it out to no avail.

But AJ kept itching. And on her third visit to the school nurse, she found that little bugger. I never would have guessed how much work would go into this process. Two days and about $150 later, we have washed everything in sight. I made Cal get a haircut. Bailey, Sydney and I all used the special shampoo, just in case, even though they show no signs - can't be too careful, do you think?

Just to confirm that I must abandon any slim grasp I might have on my pride, the doorbell rang while I was working on AJ. Sydney answered it and then returned to the room to watch TV.

Me: Sydney, who was at the door?
Sydney: Ali.
Me: What did you say to her?
Sydney: I told her AJ can't play. She has lice.

Great.

No comments: